Speak to Understand is a wellness organization based on my belief that in sharing our narratives, and providing witness to the narratives of others, we form deep connections to ourselves and to one another. It is through those connections we experience growth, healing and a feeling of belonging. Through my work I have come to believe that feelings of isolation, both emotional and physical, whether acquired in defense or inflicted upon us, are some of our greatest psychological challenges. When we think only of the ways in which we are alone, separated from one another, we despair.
This website is not only be devoted to sharing issues in mental health and wellness, but also serves as a place to practice authenticity and connection – and to explore the barriers we create to both.
As a licensed psychotherapist, I provide clinical counseling, as well as consulting and coaching services.
Beyond that, I am a humanist and find my greatest pleasure in learning about people's lives – where they are now, how they got there and where they would like to be tomorrow. Understanding the places where they rose above obstacles - and the places where they fell down and could not. Exploring both joy and pain, given and received, and our role in manifesting them.
With rare exception, the company I keep and the stories I hear are heroic. Every heroic journey has elements of love, of heartbreak, of a deep desire for connection. Every heroic journey contains shame and pride, and loss and victory, and, ultimately, hopefully, wisdom.
I believe that understanding your narrative, and sharing it, can be transformational.
Speak. Listen. Grow.
5959 Collins Avenue, Apt. 1403
Miami Beach, Florida 33140
305 209 4561 - email@example.com
License: MH 11465 – State of Florida
Experienced licensed mental health counselor with interest and expertise in interpersonal relationships, depression, anxiety, life satisfaction, sexual identity issues and trauma. Empathic, creative, ethical and grounded.
- Individual, couples and group therapy, as well as trauma and anxiety counseling. Motivational speaking and Mental Health & Wellness workshops.
- Experience working with ethnically and culturally diverse populations (including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered).
- Targeted eclectic orientation combining psychodynamic therapy with cognitive behavioral work in order to explore the foundations of unwanted behaviors and emotions while providing concrete tools to help clients navigate the day-to-day stressors that affect quality of life.
- Development and presentation of psycho-educational materials.
Relevant Education and Training:
- NYU - Steinhardt School of Culture, Education & Human Development (Applied Psychology).
- MA in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness, May 2008. (4.0 G.P.A.)
- Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE) High Score – Class of 2008.
- Theory and Process
- Individual Counseling
- Group Dynamics
- Trauma: Theoretical and Clinical Perspectives
- Psychological Disturbances in Children
- Action Approaches to Drama Therapy
- Professional and Ethical Issues in Counseling
B.A. – Major: Psychology Minor: Anthropology
May 2006. (Summa Cum Laude)
- Empowerment and Recovery for Trauma Survivors. NEEI Seminar. Dr. Judith Herman.
- A Person Centered Approach to Personal & Social Transformation. Dr. Peggy Natiello.
- Multicultural Counseling. Fielding Graduate University. Dr. Anthony Greene.
Memberships and Associations
- American Psychological Association – Division 56 – Trauma Psychology;
- Florida Mental Health Counselors Association
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- American Counseling Association
- Speak to Understand, Miami Beach, FL
President, June 2012 – Present
- Provide clinical counseling: individual, couples and groups.
- Goal assessment and achievement
- Media: Author of Speak To Understand web blogs focusing on:
- Mechanisms for Change;
- Life Satisfaction;
- Mental Health Advocacy.
- Motivational Speaker
- Tell Your Story – Understanding Your Narrative;
- Authenticity and Intimacy.
- Alliance Psychological
- Individual, couples and group therapy.
- Hetrick Martin Institute/Harvey Milk High School, NY, NY
Counselor – Intern, September 2007 – May 2008
- Provided individual counseling to high risk adolescents, ages fourteen to twenty-one, who identify as lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or trans-gendered (LGBT) and show increased rates of chronic suicidal ideation, depression and anxiety.
- Coordinated individual counseling with additional supportive services offered by HMI.
- Conducted pre-screening, screening and assessment of high-risk youth in order to ensure the appropriate fit between youth and HMI’s programs.
- Provided transitional and supportive case management in addition to concrete services.
- Co-facilitated, with faculty from Harvey Milk High School, a psycho-educational group (Buddy Advisory) which met with students twice a week.
- Wrote and distributed psycho-educational modules to be used with the youth in Buddy Advisory
- Developed a new case conference presentation model for HMI staff meetings.
- Organized a trauma seminar between HMI staff and Judith Alpert to help HMI personnel better understand a client base with high incidences of trauma, PTSD and complex PTSD.
- PLUS Media & Entertainment, NY, NY
Executive Vice President - Business Strategy and Development, March 2004 – March 2005
- Strategize with M&A professionals to position PLUS as an attractive market acquisition.
- Target new business for expansion into electronic media placement.
- Develop collateral marketing materials.
- Design integrated collaborative strategy (joint ventures) between PLUS Media clients to offset costs and strengthen core business.
- ICor Brokerage - A Reuters Venture, NY, NY (sold to Reuters Group 2004)
Public Affairs Director – Business Strategy, Branding and Corporate Communications, January 2000 – February 2004
- Redefine ICor's target audience
- Identify ICor's marketing goals macro and micro
- Create and implement strategies to brand ICor's products to traders, Banks and Investment Banks and potential corporate partners
- Identify and cultivate relationships with media outlets
- Write all ICor press releases and corporate communications;
- Developed, wrote and edited “thought” articles on behalf of ICor management;
- Resourced appropriate periodicals for potential advertising and publishing opportunities to position ICor and its management as industry experts;
- Designed and executed advertising campaigns to further ICor's marketing goals
- Oversee assembly of due diligence materials related to purchase of ICor by Reuters and contact person for all legal matters related to the purchase
- Oversee assembly of due diligence materials in formation of the joint venture with Reuters and contact person for all legal matters related to the formation of the JV.